Tips and Trick to Get You Ready for Winter Driving in Maine
Top 3 Winter Driving Safety Tips for Maine Drivers
The holiday season is in full swing with Thanksgiving just days away and the arrival of the holiday season means that winter weather is not far behind. Brace yourself for bone-chilling cold and snow storms that will leave the roads coated in snow and ice. Here in the Bangor area, life goes on even when winter arrives in force, meaning you need to be ready for the worst. Get ready for winter with these top 3 winter driving safety tips for Maine drivers and take it slow this season.
READ MORE: Does Your Toyota Tacoma Need Snow Tires?
1. Be Prepared for Winter Weather
Before you even get behind the wheel of your 2017 Toyota Tacoma and hit the road this winter, it is important that your vehicle is prepared for the weather. Schedule a service appointment with the Downeast Toyota Service Department before temperatures drop below freezing and snow starts to fall. A team of certified Toyota service technicians will ensure that your vehicle is ready for the winter onslaught. Here are a few things to check.
- Check Your Battery and Battery Life
- Ensure Windshield Wiper Blades are in Good Condition
- Check Antifreeze and Coolant Levels
- Check Windshield Wiper Fluid Levels
- Check Your Exterior Lights
- Check Tire Pressure and Tread Depth
- Make Sure to Carry an Ice Scraper and Small Shovel
2. Check the Weather and Road Conditions
- Check the Weather Forecast Before You Leave — Stay Home in Extreme Conditions
- Dress for the Winter Weather — Gloves, Hat and Boots
- Allow Your Car to Warm Up Before You Leave
- Be Cautious on the Snow and Ice Outside Your Car
- Remember Snow Banks and Drifts Can Obstruct Your View
3. Winter Driving Safety Tips — Take It Slow
Are you ready to hit the road now? Previous tips will help prepare you for the weather and this next list will help you stay safe when you leave the driveway. Always remember the rule of thumb for winter driving — take it slow. Check out detailed winter driving safety tips listed below.
- Avoid Sudden Movements When Steering, Stopping or Accelerating
- Give Yourself Extra Time and Distance to Stop
- Give Yourself Extra Distance Between Cars
- Be Cautious When Pulling into Traffic
- Avoid Using Cruise Control
- Brake Early and Brake Slowly
- Stay Alert and Stay Safe
READ MORE: How Will Your Toyota Camry Handle in Snow?
Make no mistake about it, winter is on its way. Frigid temperatures, sharp winds and thick, deep snow promise to put plenty of cars in the ditch this winter. Stay safe this winter with these top 3 winter driving safety tips for Maine drivers and above all else — take it slow. Should you need a vehicle that can handle winter weather, take a moment to explore the Downeast Toyota inventory.